New Rose Bush

New Rose Bush

Saturday, April 21, 2012

April 21, 2012
Wonderful day to be outside.  I hung out the laundry and got to work on cutting a lot of lawn - trimming around all the new garden beds.  Looks so much better.  Everything grew amazingly with the rain - especially the grass.  After a quick trip to Lowes for black plastic we got the plastic down on the beds we didn't plant after tilling and the grass grew up so big.  Trying to burn out all the yuck.  Joel and I double dug a partial bed yesterday and it was alot of work.  I was able to put in another bed of cilantro and added more carrots.  I covered it well so it didn't get washed out by the rain again.

The strawberry bed is doing well.  I can pick a handful soon.  I had to  add alot of straw mulch to it and everywhere else in the garden.  Trying to get all the pathways done with cardboard and straw too.  Everything is growing well in the hoop house.  I'll need to start planting and making room for more flats.  I purchased sweet banana peppers and tomatoe plants but have them in the hoop house until the threat of frost is past. 

We're picking alot of lettuce, spinach, arugula, kale and swiss chard.  The broccoli was totally disappointing.  The heads are small and going to seed.  They needed more cool weather and alot more rain.  I didn't water enough.  Can't wait to get our irrigation set up.

David and I finally hauled away the huge pile of locust trees we cut down for the pasture.  So glad to have that finally removed.  We put it to the other side of the garden behind the new beehive to wait a good bonfire in the fall!  I'll be glad to burn up those nasty things.

No comments:

Post a Comment