New Rose Bush

New Rose Bush

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 20, 2012

Today is the first day of spring so I'm going to give my blog a new look because everything outside sure has a new look.  What a month it has been!

The weather is way too warm, but everything is blooming and exploding.  It seems every time I go into my garden everything grew an inch or so.  I was able to put in alot of broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts this past week.  A man came and cultivated our new garden plots - 10 of them which are 25 feet long and 4 feet wide.  Even though it was my husband's big 50th birthday this weekend and our house was full of family who traveled in from NJ, he still rented a rototiller from Tiger Rental and went over the beds again to break up the big clumps and get the rocks out - with alot of help from Joel.  On Sunday he made a whole new bed where the old wild blackberry canes were and another stretching from the cemetery in the front all the way down to the perennial bed for the new U-Pick Blackberry patch.  I ordered 24 thornless bushes to go in there yesterday.

I started one of the new beds with 125 strawberry plants already and got that mulched with straw.  My 10 new blueberry bushes also came in the mail last Friday and Joel graciously planted those for me - lining the front of the garden.  He likes digging holes for some reason, so he dug and planted another honey crisp apple tree too - they're my favorite.

We finished picking up all the wood where the dyer's garden is going to go yesterday and moved the old chicken tractor that was damaged by the tornado over to the garden, covered it in white plastic and now I have a greenhouse!  I started flats of seeds for flowers, rhubarb, gourds, cilantro and borage and have them on old pallets in the greenhouse ready to grow!  I'm so glad I finally have someplace to start seeds.  I've been thinking how I can maybe have Joel pound in some rebar and tie the greenhouse down.  I'm sure with the first of our "great" winds we have here it's going to go flying down the hill into the pond.

Speaking about the pond, we're looking forward to getting our pump and drip irrigation system going,, using the pond.  We need to go visit Janet and her husband down in Martinsville who I met at my VA Tech class.  They just installed that for their gardens this year.

Looking forward to a great work day here on Friday.  We're going to finish clearing the locust trees for pasture, move the rest of the wood to the woodstove, and chop up one of the last fallen trees near the barn so I can have access from the garden to the barn.  Hope we can get it all done.  We really need to get the back pasture fenced.  It is way too hot for the llamas up in the front with no shade.  I'm worried about Francesca.  She is the largest and did not look well yesterday.  I really need to get the sheep sheared also and I've been trying to get a hold of the shearer for 3 weeks with no response - not good at all!  Please weather, cool off a bit and give us some time!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment